Dog owners warned of poisonings on North Side of Chicago

Posted: 3/23/2012

squirrel poisonChicago dogs are being unwittingly poisoned in the Rogers Park and Edgewater neighborhoods. 


Local dog groomers, veterinarians and pet stores have reported at least four deaths in the past month that have been linked to squirrel poison.   The poisoned food comes in pinkish pellet form (as seen in the picture) and often placed in small piles.

Investigators don't know who has been putting out the poisoned squirrel food; but pet welfare activists are asking anyone who sees a pile of those pellets to report its location on his or her personal Facebook page, and on EveryBlock.com.

We are urging dog owners to be especially watchful about what their pets eat and sniff outside.

Here are some other tips:

  • Sometimes the poison is left in alleys, so it might be a good idea to avoid alleys completely.
  • Teach you dog to "drop it" or "leave it."
  • Talk to others walking dogs about suspicious behavior of any kind in the neighborhood
  • Consider cleaning it up (wearing gloves) so that someone else's pet doesn't find it.  You could also call the city's 411 number to have them take care of it.
  • Cats are not as likely to  eat squirrel poison, but it can happen.  If you keep your cat indoors (or only outside under supervision), there is no need to worry.