Cocoa mulch dangerous to pets

                  

A word of caution...
check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens. Cocoa mulch (which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other garden supply stores) contains the ingredient called "Theobromine" which is lethal to dogs.  Cocoa mulch smells just like chocolate and really attracts dogs, be sure to be aware of what your dog gets into on your walks as well, as this is fast becoming a popular landscaping mulch.

Theobromide is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate.  It is a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine.  Cacao bean shells used in Cocoa mulch contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine.

Dogs that ingest a lethal quantity of cocoa mulch develop severe convulsions and will die within a few hours. If you think your dog may have eaten cocoa mulch or any kind of chocolate, please contact your veterinarian or emergency clinic immediately.