Festive fun for Everyone
The holiday season is a time of celebration with friends and family - furry, four-legged ones included.  But colder weather, decorations and parties can create safety hazards for pets. Make sure your holidays stay festive with these simple tips to keep your pet healthy and safe.

Cold Weather Hazards
De-icing products, salt and ice can get into fur and paws, causing skin irritation or more serious conditions.  Thoroughly wipe your pet's paws and tummy when he comes in from the cold.  Take care to wipe up any spilled antifreeze- dogs and cats like the sweet taste.  Better yet, use pet friendly antifreeze products.

Keep holiday decorations out of reach
Ingestion of glass, metal, ribbons or tinsel can lead to serious medical emergencies for pets.  Also, snow globes and artificial snow contain chemicals that can be harmful if ingested or inhaled.
                                       

Place holiday plants high off the ground
Pretty as they are, ivy, holly, mistletoe, poinsettia, lilies and Christmas greens can all be toxic to animals if ingested.  Also, don't allow pets to drink Christmas tree water, it can be harmful, too.

Keep a watchful eye on pets
Everyone loves a party, but sometimes the hustle and bustle can frighten animals and cause them to hide or run away.  Designate a quiet, secure "pet room" away from the crowd, and be sure that your pet is microchipped and wearing a collar with current ID tags.

Fight the temptation to feed table scraps
Fatty holiday meats can cause a number of gastrointestinal problems while bones can cause bowel obstructions or choking.  Remember, no chocolate for pets.  The sweet treat contains a chemical that is highly toxic to pets.  Raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts and onions should also be avoided as they are also poisonous to pets.